This last week I used three different lenses for the pictures in
I love the 50 mm f/1.8. It was the clearest pictures all weekend as long as the people were within about 50 yards. If they were farther, the focus was more for the general scene than the person.
I own the 18-55 IS f/3.5-5.6 by Cannon. It is a kit lens and works well. The wide 18mm range is nice to get the whole picture. The 55mm is not as sharp as the previous lens mentioned. The redeeming factor for this lens is that it can zoom.
The last lens that I used/borrowed was a 75-300 mm f/4-5.6 by Canon. Without it I would not have been able to take clear pictures of peoples faces. The aperture was too small to get pictures that were not grainy. It was what I had so it worked.
A little about the lenses that I want to have in my bag.
Tamron 28-300 mm VC f/3.5-6.3
- Huge focal range for almost all the situations that I would be in. It is a good all around lens
- I miss it. I had it once and sold it because I thought the focus was soft. Turns out it was. The lady I sold it to sent in the lens and they repaired the aperture and now the lens is sharp from what I hear.
- The aperture is not the biggest but it works wonderfully in the sun and even in moderate low light.
- Tamron warranties their lenses for 6 years. Canon only warranties their equipment for one year. I am ok with the extra 5 years.
Canon 24-70 mm f/2.8L
- Sharp, sharp, sharp!
- This lens has a large, constant aperture of 2.8. This creates a wonderful depth of field when taking pictures.
- The build quality of this lens is legendary
Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
- Wide angle allows me to capture an entire scene.
- It is just fun.
Lens hoods are a must as well. They stop or minimize stray light from getting into the picture. A must when using a flash to illuminate the picture.
Each of these lenses would be great! The only thing that would make them better would be to have a full frame camera. More on that to come.
I think I will be asking for gift cards to B&H Photo for my birthday! Maybe my gear bag will look like this someday!